What Health Problems Are Caused By Mold In Your House?
Did you know that your health problem may be caused by mold? Mold is commonly found in homes and can cause a number of health problems that you may not be aware of. How can you tell if mold is the cause?
Have you ever noticed that your nose suddenly gets congested when you walk into certain rooms in the house? This is a sign that you might have mold lurking somewhere and it’s getting into your respiratory system.
Mold grows where it is wet, and it produces spores that can get into the air. Most health problems caused by mold involve these spores getting into your lungs.
Stuffiness or a runny nose may be the sign of mold allergy. Another health problem caused by mold is shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing. You may experience asthma-like symptoms even though you do not suffer from asthma.
In some cases, exposure to mold gives people headaches, fevers or skin rash.
Mold also grows on rotten food. You may see mold growing on vegetables that have been around for a while. Cheese may also have mold growing on it. And, we’ve all seen moldy bread before.
If you have moldy food, you should throw it out, of course. If you accidentally eat mold, you are likely to experience a headache or nausea.
For the most part, mold is non-toxic. There are no major long-term health problems caused by mold. However, if you suffer from asthma or chronic sinus problems, mold will be a particular problem for you.
If you have asthma, you will want to avoid mold as much as possible. Mold will aggravate your asthma and bring on attacks. The constant exposure of children with asthma to mold has been shown to have long-term consequences, leading to trouble breathing when they are adults.
If you suffer from sinus trouble, mold will aggravate your sinuses. The symptoms of mold allergy are similar to sinus infections, so it is difficult to determine the exact cause of your symptoms.
Even though mold is not terribly dangerous, health problems caused by mold can be inconvenient and painful. It is recommended that you try to keep you home as mold-free as possible.
Every house has mold. If you have mold allergy symptoms, it may be a sign that there is mold hidden somewhere in your house.
The most common household mold is black and grows around your shower or in your kitchen. When you see this kind of mold, you should clean it immediately. Simple soap and water will usually do the trick, but detergent helps as well.
If you suffer from health problems caused by mold, but don’t see the mold, it may be a good idea to get professional help. There may be a build-up of mold under carpets, inside walls, in crawlspaces, and other hard-to-reach places that might be better handled by an expert.
Health problems caused by mold are common, but reducing the amount of mold in your home can help alleviate the symptoms.