Let’s do some pillow talk! When was the last time you brought your bed pillows? If the answer is don’t know or it’s been a long time then it’s not uncommon. Many people think that the mattress is the most essential sleep aid to get quality sleep but forget all about the pillows. Yes, the mattress is a primary sleep tool but the pillow comes right after that and is as critical as the mattress you sleep. As a quality pillow is a great contributor to comfortable sleep it is essential to know all about it before purchase.
Importance of a pillow
A pillow is as important as a mattress and here’s why.
It promotes good posture: It is important to have a good sleep posture as it helps to wake up without feeling any stiffness or pain or aches in the body. When the body, which includes the head, neck, shoulders, spine, hips, and knees are aligned there will be no pressure points created and you wake up feeling refreshed and energetic. On the contrary, if the head, neck, and shoulders don’t get the needed support and is misaligned then it leads to pressure on the spine, and the body is out of alignment causing strain and discomfort.
It is thus essential to have a pillow that offers the right comfort and support.
How to know that the pillow needs replacement?
Generally, it is recommended that a sleeping pillow be replaced every 18 months. A high-quality pillow made of good quality materials like memory foam and constructed well lasts longer than even expensive ones with low-quality materials. If you are not sleeping comfortably off-late or if the pillow has a life of more than 3 years then it might be time to change it.
Do a quality check on pillows, perform the following
- Sight and smell test: Take out the pillow cover, check for stains or smell. If there is then it has to be replaced. Sweat, dead cells, dust mites get accumulated and cause allergies and the odour can interfere with sleep.
- Fold test: Once the sight test is passed then perform the fold test. Fold the standard pillow into half, if it bounces back and retains its original shape then it still has life, if not it needs to be changed.
How to select a perfect pillow?
Is there a perfect pillow? Yes, there is but it is based on individual preference. It is all dependant on the way you sleep and the material you prefer. There are many different pillow types and each one has its advantages and disadvantages but there is one primary factor that you should consider and that is supported.
Apart from support, there are a few things to consider
- Fill: There are many options of fills available but the best and the most recommended is the memory foam as it contours to the shape of the head.
- Quality of fill: To get the right comfort, support, and durability the quality of the fill is important. Among the recommended pillows online is from Wakefit as they use high-quality fill which is affordable, durable and offers great comfort.
- Loft: A pillow that is neither too high nor too flat is the best bet and suits all types of sleepers and sleeping positions.
- Size: Though it is again based on your preference, a standard size pillow is good as it is neither too big nor too small for your mattress.
- Outer fabric: The outer fabric should be hypoallergenic and should keep allergies at bay. It should neither make the sleeper to hot or too cold.
Pillow is an important part of your sleep and it is essential to make the right choice to have a comfortable sleep.