Workers approved to put together amendments to Burnaby zoning bylaw, animal handle bylaw.
Chickens in Burnaby backyards are now a stage nearer to truth.
Very last thirty day period, the city’s social arranging committee handed a suggestion requesting council authorize workers to get ready amendments to the Burnaby zoning and animal control bylaws to allow for the preserving of chickens in local backyards.
Staff members presented a proposed framework in March that included:
- Introduce and update definitions in the bylaws
- Only residents living in one-family members dwellings are permitted to preserve chickens as an accessory use
- Lower the hazard of predation as a result of right and protected pen coop building
- Secure feed to reduce the danger of pest intrusion and spoilage and attracting other animals
- People are permitted to preserve a minimal of two chickens and not extra than four
- Only hens are to be permitted, which are outlined as feminine chickens over the age of four months
- No roosters are permitted
- No sale of eggs is permitted on the premises
- No slaughter of chickens is permitted on the premises
- Registration of chicken(s) with the Ministry of Agriculture B.C. Premises ID method expected
- Critique the city’s info bundle on holding of yard chickens
In the March report, staff reported they consulted with Fraser Health for the potential health threats relating to retaining backyard chickens, such as mitigation measures, as effectively as B.C.’s ministry of agriculture, food and fisheries.
Beginning this calendar year, the ministry will involve house owners to register livestock, which would include things like poultry, by means of a traceability method.
“Ministry workers advised that this application is meant for significant and smaller scale livestock and interest farms, like backyard chickens,” the report stated.
“There is no price tag to register and get a premises ID selection from the ministry. The accountability will be on the owner to follow the protected and healthy holding of chickens, even so, the ministry and local governments can facilitate dangers by offering typical regulations and educational methods.”
Burnaby city workers also discussed potential nuisances such as pests, sound and odour with a Fraser Health medical health officer, the report states.
“The evaluation concluded that correct treatment, routine maintenance, sanitization and disposal of backyard hen waste can minimize the probable of attracting pests and restricting sound and odour challenges.”
At Monday’s (April 4) regular assembly, Coun. James Wang stated he would like to see alterations made to the proposed framework that at present would only permit people with a 6,000-sq-ft. minimal residence to have chickens.
“To me, I will not imagine it can be very good for lots of other people in Burnaby that only have 4,000, 3,000, 5,000 [sq. ft.]. I hope we can glimpse into this problem and probably can extend it to more people.
“Possibly think about for little heaps, contemplate beginning from 1 rooster, but undoubtedly I assume commencing from 6,000 sq. feet house, quite a few others really don’t have these possibilities.”
Coun. Pietro Calendino supported Wang’s solutions, believing backyard poultry should be permitted on any house.
“I would counsel they really should be permitted in all one-household or even duel spouse and children household loads, no matter of dimension.
“If it is a subject of food stuff safety, why would we be leaving portion of the inhabitants out of that?”
In reaction, metropolis staff mentioned the 6,000 sq-ft. framework was taken from investigate they performed when hunting at other municipalities, which was presented with the proposed framework.
The motion was carried unanimously and workers will report back to council and the social preparing committee with the required improvements to the bylaws.