Vitamin C is an important vitamin for the body. Vitamin C helps the body immune system and helps the body detoxify itself.
Some home cooking may be required to get children to eat enough Vitamin C to meet the minimum standards. Children require a large amount of Vitamin C on a daily basis. Children with asthma have special requirements and need additional vitamin C to help protect the body from infection.
Just some simple home cooked recipes for children can provide the high level of Vitamin C that children require. Consuming a high level of Vitamin C daily for children is easy with these fruit and vegetable dishes that include scrumptious flavors. A one half cup serving of the Carrot Apple Raisin salad provides almost 1/2 the recommended daily allowance of the fruits and vegetables that children need.
Carrot Apple & Raisin Salad
*1 medium red apple, chopped
*1 pound carrots, grated
*1 (8 ounce) container nonfat lemon yogurt
1. Chop Apples in your food processor
2: Process the carrots or grate them using a food grater
3. In a large bowl, combine all fruits ingredients
4. Add in the non-fat lemon yogurt
5. Mix thoroughly
6. Serve on a bed or romaine lettuce
Yield: 6 servings
A favorite home made recipe for children that is high in Vitamin C content is this Sweet Potato Casserole. This crunchy nutritious casserole can be eaten at almost anytime of the day. Who says you cannot eat vegetables that taste this good for breakfast.
Sweet Potatoes Casserole Extraordinaire
* 4 large sweet potatoes
* 1/2 tablespoons refined sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt
*1/3-cup brown sugar
*1/2-cup chopped pecans
*2-tablespoons all-purpose flour
*1/4-cup butter or margarine, melted
Prepare Sweet Potatoes or Yams
1. Microwave unpeeled potatoes until tender
2. Wait until the potatoes cool then peel the skins off with your fingers
3. Combine potatoes, salt and sugar
4. Mash until smooth
Tip: To Microwave the sweet potatoes quickly place the sweet potatoes in a sandwich bag, poke small holes through the bag and the potatoes. Set microwave for potatoes.
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Place mashed potatoes in the prepared casserole dish.
4. Prepare the topping in a separate bowl.
5. Combine brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour and melted butter.
6. Spread evenly over the Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
You can serve with whipped cream. This is a delicious side dish that compliments baked pork chops or chicken. Sweet potatoes are a very rich source of vitamin C. The entire family will benefit from these healthy recipes.