Ayurveda is an ancient Hindu system of medicine that has been practiced for thousands of years and is becoming more popular worldwide due to its natural, holistic healing approach. With many aspects that are similar to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), it views illness as caused by an imbalance in a person’s bodily or mental constitution. It is prevention-orientated and treats the root cause of a disease instead of just the symptoms. In the Ayurvedic health care system, it is believed that diet and lifestyle modifications play a critical role in bringing each disease and health condition under control.
For many centuries, honey has been used in vital alternative medicine of Ayurveda. It is mixed with a variety of herbs and spices and made into compound for curing various ailments. The daily consumption of honey is also advocated in Ayurvedic teaching to promote good health.
Here are some common Ayurvedic home remedies using honey:
1) For severe cold, take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This will help clear the sinuses. (Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder also strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks.)
2) For a persistent cough with mucous, mix a pinch of black pepper with a teaspoonful of honey and lick the mixture from a spoon after meals.
3) Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with carrot juice and consume one hour before breakfast. Do this regularly to improve eyesight.
4) Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with equal quantity of ginger juice. The concoction helps to expectorate mucus, providing relief for the common cold, coughs and sore throat.
5) Regular dose of one teaspoon of garlic juice mixed with two teaspoons of honey twice a day in the mornings and evenings help to control blood pressure.