Aging brings about health complications that require special health care services. As the aging population grows, almost every household has an older adult needing support and care. Suppose you live in Maryland and have a father or mother or close relative that is elderly. In that case, doctors and nurses offer geriatric care in Gaithersburg. The services ensure that the elderly regain independence in performing basic actions such as eating. Therefore, you do not have to worry about taking care of the elderly within the home setup because doctors and nurses are trained to help you out. In this article, you will learn all about senior care.
Two Aspects of Geriatric Care
Geriatric care occurs in two levels, geriatric medicine, and geriatric care management. In geriatric medicine, the doctors help prevent diseases associated with old age through regular checkups. Besides, the doctor helps diagnose and treat prevalent diseases in old age. Therefore if you have an older adult who needs senior care, they will get a diagnosis and be treated for various diseases. Also, you will need the doctor’s services because the elderly often suffer from delirium, falls, incontinence, and issues associated with prescribed medications.
The second aspect entails geriatric care management. If you have a geriatric patient, you can opt to get the services of professional caregivers or get trained yourself to give the necessary care. Geriatric care management involves looking at the needs of the patient, such as;
· Ensuring the patient eats a healthy diet
· Ensuring the patient takes all the prescribed medications on time
· Allowing the patient to interact with others
· Noting symptoms that need medical attention
Common Conditions Addressed in Geriatric Care
The common conditions that affect the elderly include heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer, dementia, and depression. Others include;
· Parkinson’s Disease affects the nervous system and impedes movement. The disease progresses with time, and your patient can lose mobility function.
· Alzheimer’s Disease is common among the elderly. You will experience that your aged mother starts losing memory and thinking ability. Geriatric care lets you know how to handle such a patient and ensure they live a dignified life.
· Osteoarthritis is prevalent among the elderly because as they age, the cartilage between bones begins to wear out, and they experience pain in their hands, knees, and other joints.
· Osteoporosis is a condition that occurs because of loss of bone tissues because of aging. If your aged mother suffers from this condition, they are at risk of fractures if they fall.
As the aging population grows because of the increase in life expectancy, Doctors First has a team of advanced care practitioners and physicians that help you take care of your aged kin. Geriatric care allows your kin to enjoy life to ensure their physical, emotional, and psychological well being. Through the care, your aged spouse, relative, or parent feels comfortable within the home because their interests and needs are well met. Therefore if you are either in Rockville, Gaithersburg, or Germantown and urgently need the best senior caregivers, call or book an appointment at Doctors First-Primary Care Center today.